Monday, May 20, 2013

April 29, 2013



This past week has been a little strange for me.  I am finishing up my training with Elder Jorgensen and I have just realized that transfers are in a week, and I will probably be getting a new companion.  I don't feel quite ready for that to happen yet.  I am still not as familiar with the area as a should be, and I just don't feel like I am ready yet.  But if that is what the Lord wants, that is what will happen.  But also, this past week has been quite amazing at the same time.  My area decided that we would  have a fast together over the course of a week and a half.  One companionship would fast for one day, then another for the next, until all the companionships had fasted.  I was able to really feel and see the difference in my area while this was happening.
At district meeting, the AP's came and visited.  They helped a lot during the practice and training portion.  One thing that Elder V asked me to do that has really helped me was to look for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in all of the different lessons, and incorporate that into my teaching.  It was really interesting and constructive.
While teaching this past week, I have really been able to see how the Spirit works in the lives of the investigators we have been teaching, especially in N.  This past week we taught her about the word of wisdom, and what was really awesome to me was how easily she accepted it.  She said that since Christ had done so much for her, then it wouldn't be hard to give up her tea.  She said that if people really put their mind to it, then the Word of Wisdom wouldn't really be all that hard to follow. 
Also this past Sunday, she brought her entire family to church with her.  It was so exciting!!
At Ward Council this past Sunday, Elder Jorgensen and I were able to see how the Ward Mission process has been going, and there have been rumors that at this next transfer, the area that I am in is going to split.  So instead of serving both Molalla River, and Canyon Creek, both wards will have their own set of missionaries.
I am super nervous for transfers this coming week.
Love
Elder Peterson
The Bible dictionary says that prayer is "the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other.  The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them." 
Prayer is extremely important.  It is through prayer that we can receive revelation for ourselves, and come to know the nature of God.  Satan also recognizes the importance of prayer.  Throughout the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and Modern Scripture, you see Satan trying to keep people from praying.  The one that stand out most prevalent in my mind is in Mosiah 24:8-16.  With Amulon already being so wicked and twisted, it was only a small matter for Satan to influence Amulon to keep the people of Alma from praying.  Those who were caught praying were put to death.  But the people of Alma did not stop from praying, they persisted, and were blessed with strength in their trials, and eventually, freedom from bondage.
The next is Joseph Smith.  Satan goes to such length to keep Joseph from praying out loud because Satan realizes that there is strength in verbal prayer.  Because of those efforts, Joseph almost gave up! 
Satan probably won't bind us with those same things as he did Joseph Smith, but he will send those feelings of inadequacy, those feelings that say "no one is listening" and "God really doesn't care".  When those feelings come, keep praying.  They will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment