Sunday, July 20, 2014

Transfer 8, Week 3 December 23rd, 2013

We had zone conference this past week.  President Morby announced that we could start using Facebook for proselyting purposes.  It was super crazy.  I haven't been able to get on yet just because I forgot my password and stuff.  But I am not sure if I am going to like it or not.  A lot of missionaries are saying that it is feels like having a flashback of home for an hour every day.  That is definitely something that I don't want.   But there are boundaries as always.  We cannot talk to family or friends back home unless it is strictly mission stuff.  And I totally understand why.  I just hope that it doesn't become too distracting for my companion and I.  Also, we will be getting personal ipad minis to use through the mission.  It is super crazy.

But on a more serious note, this last sunday, we were out contacting, and we were finally able to get into the R home.  A, the oldest daughter has diaphragmatic flutters.  It is when the diaphragm muscles just shake uncontrollably, hitting the heart, stomach, and a bunch of other organs in the body.  It is super sad.  She cannot even move because of how bad it hurts.  She has had so many IV's that the doctors have blown out the veins in her arms, and they have had to put in a port on her chest.    It started two years ago.  She is only 14.  Her mom and her dad take turns going up to the hospital to take care of her.  And the hospital brought her home for the holidays.  She has no friends, because she cannot get out of bed.  The only time that she is not in pain, is when she is asleep.  When she wakes up, she is fine, until she starts moving and/or eating, then it starts up.  

When we got there, the ward had dropped off a christmas package for A and the family.  Inside the package was a bag of un-shelled nuts.  We sat there for a good 30 minutes just cracking the nuts for A, and then brought them in for her.  Just that small act brought such a smile to her face.  It must have been a super long time since she has gotten any visitors.  It was so sad to just see her there lying on the bed, not able to do anything because of the pain.   The really sad thing is that the doctors don't know anything to help cure it.  They have tried everything, and it doesn't help that only 3 people in the United States have this diagnosis, so they don't know anything about it.  It is super sad.

I gave a talk in sunday this past week.  It was supposed to be on missionary work, so I just talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and how it applies for member missionary work.  It was good, I guess.  I mean it could always be better, but I think I did an okay job.

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Love Elder Peterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment